Provide an adequate building that complies with the security and health conditions established by the government and are equipped to guarantee the education of low income minors in the Manaparai zone.
The elementary school of St. Joseph´s is located in Pothamettupatty a town close to Manaparai.
- New classrooms have been constructed for the elementary school St. Joseph´s.
- These classrooms are equipped with the necessary material s to teach the classes.
- The school is able to maintain their educational activity for next year.
- Direct: 400 students- 238 boys and 162 girls- of poor families who lives in rural areas and are of low income. They are currently in levels I and V in the elementary school of St. Joseph´s.
- Indirect: The parents of the 400 students who are studying at the school. In addition to the general community. An estimated 1,200 people only amongst the parents and family remembers of the 400 students.
St. Joseph´s elementary school is locared in Pothamettupatty a town close to Manaparai. It was constructed in 1941 by the Diocese of Tiruchirappali in order to face the child labor issue that these children have had to deal with in order to financially help their families.
This is impoverished zone that is inhabited by a mix of people who are members of different cast and creeds that in general peacefully coexist and where the minority of the group belongs to the Dalits or untouchables. The majority of its inhabitants work in fields and their earnings are not enough to cover the family’s necessities which is why their children must work at such young ages.
In the last revisions from the Authorities of the Department of Education of the government of Tamil Nadu revealed that the school suffers such appalling conditions to the extent that school has threatened to withdraw aid that is granted for the maintenance of its staff and close school unless some new classrooms that meet the standards are built and are adapted to the standard of the Ministry of Education and comply with the health and security conditions that will be established.
It was revealed, by the last revisions made by the authorities of the Department of Education, that the school suffers from appalling conditions and is close to losing its aid, which has guaranteed maintenance of its staff, or even shutting down completely. Their only hope was that new classrooms, which meet the standards of the Ministry of Education and comply with their health and security conditions, are built.
The closing of the school would have resulted in leaving 400 students, who currently are enrolled, and all those future students, who will enroll, without education because of their family’s lack of resources.
At Hope and Joy Foundation we seek to allow minors to stay away from child labor, continue their education and have the tools that would allow them a better future for themselves and their families.